Monday, January 4, 2010

Skillet Sizzled Cornbread

This is really good cornbread.  The recipe is adapted from Crescent Dragonwagon's (I know. . .) Dairy Hollow Hose Skillet-Sizzled Buttermilk Cornbread from the Passionate Vegetarian.  It's the cornbread recipe I had been searching for my whole life, we love it.
You will need an 8 or 9 (or maybe 10, whatever) inch cast iron skillet.  If you don't have one you should get one - it will be your best friend, I promise.  Don't be afraid of cast iron, it's so great to cook on, virtually non-stick, even heat, makes things really crispy, also instead of teflon leaching out into your food you get iron (which is good for you).  You can buy pre-seasoned cast iron anywhere these days (but my favorite place to get it is at auctions - I got my 3 griswolds at auction, for cheap.  They had a lifetime of seasoning already on them, they're beautiful).  They're easy to care for too. . . just wash with water, rub with oil and dry over heat.  You'll hand them down to your kids.





 Skillet-Sizzled Buttermilk Cornbread

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1-3 Tablespoons sugar (I use 3 because I'm a yankee who likes her cornbread sweet)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. butter

  1. Preheat your oven to 375.  It is important that it reach the temperature before you start mixing anything.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and oil.
  4. Place the skillet over medium heat and melt the butter until it's sizzling, swirl to coat the sides.
  5. As the butter is melting quickly combine the dry and wet ingredients, give them a turn with a wooden spoon and pour it in the pan.
  6. Scrape the batter into the hot and buttery skillet
  7. Leave it on the burner for 1 min (no need to time it)
  8. Pop it in the oven and bake 20 - 25 minutes until it's golden brown on top.
  9. invert onto a plate, cut in wedges and serve while hot.

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I get my skillet back I'll have to make this. Another good skillet cornbread to inspire you: Pumpkin Cornbread!

    http://gosw.about.com/od/specialtyfoodsanddrink/a/breadrecipe.htm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails