Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pizza with Onion Marmalade, Gorgonzola, and Walnuts

pizza and cheese
This is a pizza I make a lot.  It might not satisfy that “I want pizza” craving because there is no tomato, no mozzarella, it’s not really “pizza-y.”  But it will satisfy those of you who love salty sweet and crunchy.  Actually it’s really delicious and makes a great appetizer if you cut it in pieces, or a nice lunch or dinner if you serve it with a salad.  This is from Peter Reinhart’s American Pie, which (and whom) I have already gone on and on about in the Onion Marmalade post. . .
You need pizza dough. . . I usually use Artisan Bread in Five’s master recipe or semolina dough.   Today I’m using their Healthy Bread in Five’s whole grain master recipe, because that’s what’s in my refrigerator.  The next step is the Onion Marmalade, that needs to have been made a little while (to a few weeks) in advance. 
After you have these two components it’s really simple. 
Roll out the doughpizza balls
rolled out dough
spread it with onion marmalade – be generous
onions on dough
DSC_0115
crumble on gorgonzola (or blue, or creamy chevre)
DSC_0117
top with some walnuts
DSC_0119
Bake, I always put the dough onto parchment paper before I top it, then bake it on the paper.  If you remember you can slide it out about halfway through baking. . . if not, it’s no big deal.  I bake on a baking stone in my oven at around 45o.  You can bake on a cookie sheet, but the crust won’t be as crisp.
pizza on peel

Cut
cut pizza

Eat.
pizza slice_edited-1

mmm. . . you  need some red wine with this.
pizza bite

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails