Sunday, January 10, 2010

Magically Delicious Salad Dressing

I use this recipe a lot.  Everytime I've served it people have raved about it.  My 7 year old will eat 5 helpings of salad if this is the dressing. It comes from a vegan cookbook and may have some ingredients you don't normally have in your fridge if you're not a vegan or a foodie.  I would go out and get them and make this dressing if I were you - but it's your call.  Also, once you have the ingredients they keep a long time and you can make this dressing anytime you want.  One of the ingredients called for is miso, which has such a great flavor.  If you can't find mellow white miso you can substitute another kind, just go easy with it.  I also like to just throw a spoonfull of miso in a cup and stir it up with some boiling water and drink it, yummy instant soup.  You could even have some with this salad and then it would be soup and a salad, what more do you need?

In the cookbook the recipe is called Pseudo Caesar Salad, but I think it's better than your average caesar (even though it doesn't have cheese in it. . . what is better without cheese? This dressing I guess)

Miso Master:  I just love this guy

This is the finished dressing: it tastes more exciting than it looks

2 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon Tahini (sesame paste)
1 tablespoon mellow white miso paste
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
1 teaspoon (be generous) soy sauce
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce (vegetarian if you are one)
1/3 c. olive oil
Romaine Lettuce

There are 2 ways of making this:
  1. Put the garlic into a mini food processor and give it a whirl
  2. Add all the other ingredients (except the romaine, but did I really need to mention that?)  Give it a whirl.  There you go, dressing made.
Here is the other way, if you don't feel like lugging out an appliance

  1. Crush the garlic and put it in a jar(with screw on lid).
  2. Add all the other ingredients
  3. Give it to your kids to shake as hard as they can (good background music for this includes Outkast's Shake it - as long as your kids are too young to understand the real meaning of the lyrics)
  4. Toss with romaine leaves and eat. . . adding some homemade croutons is good too, but not strictly necessary.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I have miso, can't remember why I bought it now, but mine is more like a sauce not a paste. Love the Miso Master and will look for him the next time I'm at the Oriental Market.

    BTW, I love tahini in anything and this dressing sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miso is used in a lot of vegan food to impart a kind of umame taste usually provided by cheese, it doesn't taste "cheesy" though, in my opinion. I've always seen it as more of a thick paste (almost peanut butter consistency). Have you noticed me following you all over the web, you're my blog mentor. Thanks for being so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails