Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crêpes - it's not about perfection it's about doing it!

Crêpes are a favorite of my children, and apparently their friends too.  I have a house full of 10 year old boys today and the first thing they asked me was if I would make Nutella crêpes for them.  Funny question, they had them here over a year ago.  Crêpes are like that though, they linger in your memory.  They're an easy, yet delicious (and apparetly memorable) idea for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  Today we're having them for lunch, so I'll put cheese in them (and maybe ham if they want that - I've got slim pickings right now in my fridge. . .I may add some kale - because I've got it cooked).  Then for dessert there's Nutella (what is not good with Nutella on it?  I want to know.)  If I had gone grocery shopping in the last week there could be bananas to go with it, and there's always lemon and sugar.  That's what's so great about crêpes, you can throw anything in them and it's all "fancy."


So here is the recipe I use:  It is based on one in Susan Hermann Loomis' French Farmhouse Cookbook, which is an homage to true French cooking, she lives there, and she loves and respects the French and their food (as anyone who spends any time there tends to. . .myself included)  She also runs a cooking school there that looks like a great experience.  It is one of my dreams to do a cooking vacation someday. . . but I digress.
Many people are intimidated by crêpes because of the big scary flip.  Don't be scared, just try it.  I find if I use my smallest and least flexible spatula I can get under the edge, then I pick it up with 2 fingers and flip.  That's what works for me, who knows what will work for you.  The other unfamiliar to many manoeuvre:  the pour and swirl:  Pouring batter with your left hand you swirl the pan to coat the bottom with your right.  Sounds harder than it is.  I was unable to photograph this manoeuvre though. . . due to the fact that I don't have four hands.  Sorry - all the assistants are otherwise engaged today.









Sweet White-Flour Crêpes

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups milk
3 large eggs
(you can add a tablespoon of sugar if you will be using them only for dessert - I don't )

  1. Put everything in the blender, blend for a minute until it's all combined. 
  2. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Heat a non-stick fry pan, the biggest one you have over medium high heat
  4. Brush the pan with a little oil or butter.
  5. pour the batter into the middle of the pan.  While you do this swirl the pan with your other hand until it is thinly coated in batter.
  6. Cook until it begins to curl at the edges and the crepe looks dry on top.
  7. slide a spatula (or a thin metal spatula if you're not using non-stick) under the crêpe (write off the first one, it's always a disaster, just try again) and flip it. . . it's o.k. if you have to kind of smooth it out, it will be fine.  You'll also need to use your fingers to assist the flip, try it, you'll get it.
  8. cook 30 seconds more.
  9. slide onto a plate.  If you're going to cook them all at once (I do, they reheat beautifully) put waxed paper between them, you can then slide them into a ziplock bag and put them in the refrigerator and pull them out when you want them.
  10. Alternatively, fill them, fold them in half, then in half again and eat them.

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! And your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about making crepes...Just do it! Every one will turn out differently and that's the beauty of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can... I think I can...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails