Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little background. . .

So I started this blog in a hurry to get into the bread braid. . . and I didn't put any background about myself.
I love to cook and bake, always have. I am a mom of 3 kids (10,7, and 4)who are homeschooled, they're pretty good in the kitchen themselves.
About 2 years ago I had been delving pretty seriously into bread, a lot of Peter Reinhart stuff (which is all about the slow). My husband got me the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day I figured it would be 5 minutes a day for a week (or 2) then a loaf of bread. Boy was I wrong. I've been crazy about this book since I read it and tried the recipes. . . They actually meant 5 minutes, - 5 to mix up a huge batch and 5 to shape it when you want it. let it rise and bake it then you've got some seriously good bread!
The thing is that before this I was a pretty serious whole grain baker. I even have my own flour mill. Well ABin5 threw all that to the wolves (much to the delight of my children). Now I've got my hands on Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (the new release) and I'm trying to get back with the grain (much harder than going the other way I'll admit).
So I've joined a group HBin5 and we are going to cook our way through the book and post our results on our blogs. . .
So that's the background info.
The other big news in my cooking world is that after 23 years as a vegetarian (well, pescatarian - but that just sounds pretentious) my children have encouraged me to give it up. Now I'm learning to cook meat and poultry - which can be daunting.
So this blog will mostly be about all that, hopefully my food photography will get better as I go along, I know it's not great now, it's a hobby I always meant to cultivate. . .

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails