Thursday, December 17, 2009

Toffee Squares










































 















My kids, who claim not to like nuts can polish off a whole tray of these when I'm not looking. . . they remind me of a really great heath bar that won't break your teeth.
1/2 c. walnut halves
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. ap flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350. Spread the walnuts on a 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan. (I have one I use only for this recipe. . . I hope yours is not an "airbake" like mine, I hate those things nothing ever browns properly in them) Toast the nuts for about 10 min. Cool them and chop them.
In a mixer bowl cream the butter and the sugar, add the salt, vanilla and egg. Stir in the flour. Rub the butter wrappers on the pan to lightly greas it. Spread the batter in the pan. This will be a little harder than it sounds, just push it all in there with nice clean hands, the palm prints will go away while it bakes. Bake it for about 21 min. Sprinkle the chips on and bake another 5 minutes, spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface, then sprinkle on the nuts. Cool completely and cut (use a pizza wheel, it will be much easier) into diamonds.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. We made these. Great. Claire and Abby give them a big thumbs up! Milva

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you liked them, I've been making them for years.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails