Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Krinkle Klause















My children have dubbed these "Krinkle Klause" although the real name is the very cumbersome "Kris Kringle's Chocolate Krinkles." I"m pretty sure they just can't remember it. These come from DeDe Wilson's christmas cookie field guide. We double the recipe every year, because although it claims to make 80 cookies it really only makes 40.
Ingredients
5 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 stick butter
2 c. a.p. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
confectioners sugar.

1) Melt the chocolate and butter together over boiling water in a metal bowl (or whatever way you want to really). Remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
2) Mix up the dry ingredients in a bowl.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar and vanilla for about 2 minutes, until they're creamy.
4) Whisk in the chocolate/butter.
5) Mix in the dry.
the batter will be thinnish, but that's o.k. because you're going to refrigerate it - 6 hours or overnight.
6) Preheat oven to 350.

Put some confectioners sugar into a bowl, roll the dough into 1" balls and roll them (or have your kitchen helpers roll them. . . messy but fun) in the sugar. You want a thick coating. Place them 2" apart on a sheet and bake about 11-12 min. they'll be puffed and crackled.
these keep pretty well if you can hide them.

StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

  1. Nice! These look amazing. I have a similar recipe, but yours look puffier, which I'm thinking makes them a little more fudgy and decadent.
    Mine, however, calls for 1/4 cup of Sambuca, so maybe our cookies would be neck in neck in a taste test? I think I may steal some measurements from you and try to perfect mine!
    xoJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what happens. . . I have to say I'm not a big fan of sambuca. There are so many recipes out there for these. . . I don't know if these are the best, or even in the running, but I do know my kids freak out if I try a different recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK my dough is in the fridge. So excited to try these!
    How do you store all of these cookies you are making? Cookies only ever seem to last a day, two at the most here. I must be doing something wrong. Can you freeze most cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I'm not an expert at that. Although I think that you can freeze most cookies well, my grandmother does, and she knows a lot. I don't think the powedered sugar coating on these would freeze too well though, I just keep them in an airtight container and don't make them months in advance. . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails